Incense is a form of aromatherapy found in many cultures. It comes in different forms and is burned to release its fragrance. The incense ingredients are ground, mixed, kneaded and compacted.
Types of incense
Incense comes in various forms and has several types and uses. In our online shop SYS Aromas you will find the two main types of incense, which are direct burning incense and indirect burning incense.
Direct burning incense is the most common type of incense used worldwide. It is burned in a burner to release its aroma, and comes in the form of sticks and cones. Direct-burning incense is easy to use, as only one end needs to be lit and placed in the incense holder.
In addition, direct burning incense comes in a wide variety of fragrances, from cinnamon to lavender, and can be used for a variety of purposes, from meditation to relaxation. It can also be used as an air freshener to scent your home.
Indirect burning incense
Indirect burning incense is also known as palo santo wood. It is placed in a burner that has a hole for a candle that is lit and placed under the incense. This type of incense burns slowly and its aroma is released gradually. The burning of indirect burning incense needs more attention and care than direct burning incense.
Incense is made by mixing different ingredients that are ground, kneaded and compacted to form the different varieties of incense. The ingredients used to make incense include:
Aromatic plant resins
Resins are one of the main raw materials for incense. They are obtained from the sap of different trees and plants, the most common being pine, olibanum, myrrh and copal. The resin is extracted from the bark of the tree or from the incision made in it and collected in the form of small solid beads. These aromatic plant resins provide the main aromas for the different types of incense.
Essential oils of natural origin
Another common ingredient in incense making is essential oils of natural origin. These are obtained by distillation of mostly plants and flowers. Each essential oil has a distinctive aroma and is used to give different properties to incense such as relaxation or meditation.
Some of the other ingredients used in the production of incense are charcoal, gum arabic or salt, which are added to make the aroma more consistent or longer lasting. In addition, some incense may contain herbs, seeds or powdered flowers that are mixed with the resins and oils to give a more natural and complex fragrance.
Benefits of using incense
Incense is a form of aromatherapy that offers various health, wellness and home benefits. The following are the various benefits of its use:
- Reduces stress and anxiety: The aroma of incense has relaxing properties that can help reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Improves sleep: The fragrance of incense can help induce sleep and improve the quality of sleep.
- Helps improve focus and concentration: Some types of incense, such as sandalwood and peppermint, can help improve mental focus and concentration.
- Stimulates creativity: Some incense fragrances, such as jasmine and lavender, can stimulate creativity and inspiration.
For your home
- Purifies the air: Some incense fragrances, such as myrrh and sandalwood, can help purify and freshen the air in a room.
- Eliminates bad smells: Incense can also help eliminate bad smells from a room, leaving a pleasant, long-lasting fragrance.
- Improves the atmosphere: The aroma of incense can create a relaxing, cosy and comforting atmosphere in the home.
- Attracts positive energies: Some types of incense, such as Palo Santo, are known to attract positive energies and ward off negative ones.
Nag champa is one of the most popular and widely used incense types worldwide. It originates from India and contains a blend of herbs and flowers such as sandalwood, magnolia and jasmine. Its calming and relaxing properties make it ideal for meditation and relaxation.
Palo Santo is an aromatic wood that burns like incense and originated in South America. It has a sweet, woody and pleasant aroma and is used to relieve pain, anxiety and stress. It is also believed to have cleansing and protective properties.
Myrrh is a natural resin used in traditional Chinese medicine and aromatherapy. It has a pleasant aroma and woody scent, and is used to relieve stress, reduce inflammation and improve respiratory function.
Lavender incense is used for relaxation and deep sleep. It has a mild, floral aroma and is burned to relieve stress, anxiety and depression.